DNS (Domain Name System) is a system that translates domain names, which are easy for humans to understand, into IP addresses, which are used by machines. When you use a DNS resolver like Cloudflare or Google Public DNS, you're changing your DNS "switchboard" operator from your ISP to a faster and more secure one. This guide will walk you through how to use Cloudflare and Google Public DNS resolvers to speed up DNS lookups.
Why Use Cloudflare or Google Public DNS Resolvers?
By default, DNS is usually slow and insecure. Your ISP, and anyone else listening in on the Internet, can see every site you visit and every app you use — even if their content is encrypted. Some DNS providers even sell data about your Internet activity or use it to target you with ads.
Cloudflare and Google Public DNS are designed to speed up and secure your web browsing experience. They offer faster DNS lookups and don't sell your data to advertisers.
Important: When dealing with web hosting environments where you are changing DNS records frequently, your network will be able to recognise those changes in advance of typical 'DNS Propagation' phases. We strongly recommend anyone using our platform to utilize alternative DNS resolvers, such as the following.
How to Use Cloudflare or Google Public DNS Resolvers
Setting up Cloudflare or Google Public DNS takes two minutes and requires no technical skill or special software. Here's how to do it:
- Click on the Start menu, then click on Control Panel.
- Click on Network and Internet.
- Click on Change Adapter Settings.
- Right-click on the Wi-Fi network you are connected to, then click Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (or Version 6 if desired).
- Click Properties.
- Write down any existing DNS server entries for future reference.
- Click Use The Following DNS Server Addresses.
Now, replace those addresses with the Cloudflare or Google Public DNS addresses:
- For Cloudflare:
- For IPv4: 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11
- For IPv6: 2606:4700:4700::1111 and 2606:4700:4700::1001
- For Google Public DNS:
- For IPv4: 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124
- Click OK, then Close.
- Restart your browser.
You're all set! Your device now has faster, more private DNS servers.